4 ways to help, and one piece of table-talk quality trivia...
(as always, you are encouraged to print this blogand share it at the table)
10 min film on history of conflict: http://tinyurl.com/whatreallyhappened
Short film on recent history: http://tinyurl.com/missilesfromgaza
Hamas charter: http://www.mideastweb.org/hamas.htm
- Hamas using UN ambulance to carry troops in battle: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=116_1231063776
- The Iran connection: http://tinyurl.com/iranconnection
- Tom Friedman's take: http://tinyurl.com/TomFriedmansTake
- Li'el Hoshea ben Miriam - serious head injury;
- Neriya ben Rivka - serious head injury;
- Yitzchak ben Navah - moderate shoulder injury;
- Netanel ben Navah - moderate shrapnel wounds to a lower extremity;
- Maxim ben Olga - light lower extremity injury;
- Yisrael ben Ilana - light shrapnel injury to an ear;
- Yo'ad Ido ben Frieda Rivka - light shrapnel injuries;
- Idan ben Liora - light shrapnel injuries;
- Nadav ben Miriam - light shrapnel injuries;
- Raphael ben Nina
- Noam ben Elza (NOT Aliza as previously noted) - one leg amputated; doctors fighting to save the other;
- Dvir ben Leah and Tzviki Bar-Chai, seriously wounded on Sunday;
- Moshe ben Pnina Rose- soldier who is the only surviving child of a family who lost a son in the army a few years ago. He insisted on serving with his unit, even though he was exempted.
- Gilad ben Aviva has been in captivity in Gaza for over 900 days.
To "adopt" a soldier - ie, receive an individual soldier's name to pray and/or do other good-karma acts on his or her behalf, send an email to "Office of Rabbi Kook, Rehovot"
If you know someone living in Israel, pick up the phone and call them. Assure them that you share their pain and understand what they're going through. Send e-mails of support to any Israelis you know. Let them know they are not alone!
* Yashar La’Chayal delivers basic needs, like warm socks, to soldiers, and to poor soldiers’ families. http://yasharlachayal.org/
* Yad Eliezer is sending thousands of gift packs to our soldiers in Gaza. http://www.yadeliezer.org/
* Yad Ezra v'Shulamit is sending 20 tons of food to Israeli families being attacked by Hamas rockets. http://www.yadezra.net/
* Lema'an Achai is helping over 1,000 children from cities under attack attend classes in safety and get a much-needed respite. http://www.israelwar.org/
* Thank Israeli Soldiers delivers your personal letter of thanks and a care package of items soldiers need. http://www.thankisraelisoldiers.org/
* Even more ideas from Jack Kalla: http://tinyurl.com/7waysyoucanhelp
And don’t forget about that lonely person in your neighborhood who would enjoy a Friday night dinner invitation, or even a phone call.
The best way to respond to media bias is to contact the news agency and complain. Keep your remarks respectful and stick to the facts. There is a media-watch email list at HonestReporting.com which has over 155,000 subscribers protesting biased news against Israel.
The Table-Talk Trivia
Riddle - try it on family and friends:
1. Close your eyes and see if you can say the “Shema” by heart.
2. You just said a poem – what type of poem?
PS – Yours, truly has a series of new short vids on Jinsider.com.
ANSWER TO RIDDLE: Haiku
Think about it.