Friday, September 26, 2008

Spare some change?

Here’s a thought, a question, and a challenge.

The Thought

Don’t know about you, but I can hardly keep my head on straight, with all of the news.

Trying not to pay attention to it doesn’t help, because everyone else is talking about it.

The news should wake us up to a couple things:

1. A lot of people are hurting.
2. We are all connected

One of the best things I learned this year came from someone else, a local rabbi here in Baltimore. He told me that he always carries a small wad of $1 bills. You never know, he said, when you’re going to be standing in line somewhere, and someone is a little short, you can help them out.

That sounded like a great idea, so I started doing it. I’m not taking sides on the issue of whether or not to give to every pan-handler who approaches you. But maybe to end the year right, practicing a little extra generosity will help us get the message of the 2 wake-up calls I mentioned above.

The Question for your table – What’s the best thing you learned this year? Share your answers in the comments section below.

In the meantime, someone alerted me to 2 terrific Rosh Hashana – themed articles and one video that I’d like to share with you.

Article one is a perspective on the market turmoil by Rabbi Blech: http://tinyurl.com/wallstreetblues

Article two is a practical guide to preparing for RH by Rabbi Friedman: http://tinyurl.com/Rhsteps

And the video is a great and funny example of what can be done if you have the budget to hire a good animator:


If you’re wondering about the third installment of my series, I need some feedback from you – did you watch the first 2, and did you forward them to anyone else?

The Challenge: This is the last Shabbat of the year. It is going to be very tempting to watch the debate tonight. Could you put it on Tivo and watch it Saturday night? Highlights? What do you think?

Wishing you a final Shabbat Shalom for 5768. Make it a good one.

RAS


Rosh Hashana for the Rest of Us Videos

Part 1
Part 2

Speaking schedule:
Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur – Baltimore program - “High Holidays for the Rest of Us” - the Concise High Holidays Service!

If you're looking for something similar in another part of the country, let me know, they do exist if you know where to look!

For details, send an email.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In answer to the Rabbi's question, the most imprtant thing that I learned this year is to "seize the moment".
I traveled to Paris and Israel with my brother earlier this year. First time to Paris for both of us and first time in Israel for him. He had been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer a few months before (despite never having smoked).
It was an amazing journey for both of us.
A few days after returning to the US his condition took a turn for the worse and never recovered. He passed away in December at the age of 56.
If we had "waited", even for a week, this memorable trip wouldn't have happened.