Friday, September 05, 2008

Back to School

In fond and loving memory of Harold Schwartz,
who taught those around him many things through example,
including not to be judgmental and to dare to be different.
To dedicate a future Table Talk, send an email.


Our four-year-old Yoseph started cheder this week. I love calling it cheder. It reminds me of my grandparents.

He was so excited on Tuesday morning, with his backpack and lunch. He didn’t fuss one bit when I dropped him off, but returning home to mommy was a bit traumatic and emotional.

On Wednesday, it got worse. I think riding with a strange mommy home is getting to him.

On Thursday, he came home happier, saying, “Mommy, I had a happy day today.”

This morning, he refused to get in the car, insisting on his mommy taking him. She had already left for work.

So for next week, he has a chart – if he goes to school nicely all week, he’ll get a can of soda for Shabbat. That’s a big deal when you have parents who never buy soda (OK, the truth comes out).

His sister Emuna (6) just started first grade. Every day last week we had this conversation:

“Abba, I’m starting first grade next week.”
“How exciting, first grade!”
“I’m scared.”
“What are you scared of?”
“My teacher is supposed to be strict.”

After the first day:

“How did it go? Was your teacher strict?”
“Yes, but if you listen and follow the rules it’s OK.”

Remember the book, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten?

Question for your table: What’s the most important thing you learned in kindergarten? What’s the most important thing you didn’t learn?

can't leave you without a great video...:


Shabbat Shalom


Speaking schedule:

Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur – Baltimore program - “High Holidays for the Rest of Us”

No comments: