Friday, June 19, 2020

Who's Going Up?


The purpose of this blog is to bring a little "aliya" to the Shabbat table... Please print and share...

New OlimA troubling realization dawned on me yesterday.

We are in an historic moment in so many ways. But there is present detail that I hadn't noticed. I wonder how many people have noticed?

A bit of background, and then the reveal, and then the question.

Ever since I turned 18, I've always made sure my passport was up-to-date. Even when I had absolutely no plans to travel, I've always liked the idea that I could, in a moments notice, get on a plane and go almost anywhere.

Today this is still true. (I don't mind wearing a mask on the plane.)

With one exception.

For the first time in my life, I am not able to get on a plane in a moment's notice and go to the Land of Israel.

Anyone without a current visa (student/work/etc) is being denied entry.

This came up because I have two daughters who are both hoping to move to Israel in late summer (one to live, the other to study). It is currently unknown when they will be allowed in. Makes it tricky to plan!

The short-term outlook remains 0% certain due to the recent rise in cases. The current trend is not good.

This is also true of you - just about anyone reading this. Unless you have a current Israeli passport or visa, you are barred from the Holy Land - for the first time since 1948.

Here's your question for the table: How do you feel about that?


 
Shabbat Shalom.
 
PS - Click on the image above for a related summer book that I'm betting you've never read.

PPS - Shopping on Amazon? 
Please use 
https://smile.amazon.com and Amazon will donate a % of the sale to the non-profit of your choice (such as Jewish Spiritual Literacy), at no extra cost to you. Why not?
 
Enjoyed this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers! Like ittweet it, forward it....
  

No comments: