Friday, February 28, 2020

Overheard This Week

The purpose of this blog is to cultivate a new taste at the Shabbat table... Please share...

temptationThis week I stumbled upon a New York Jewish radio show hosted by a psychotherapist. A caller said:

"I’m overeating, I’m trying to figure out what triggers it, I’m super motivated, but then it never lasts more than a day, or tops a week. Even though I’m so motivated, when the food’s in front of me, I can’t control myself."

First question for your table: What do you think he said to her?

In a nutshell, after quite a bit of back-and-forth, he told her, "If you're of healthy weight, don't worry about it. It's normal to overeat sometimes, and then diet a bit, and don't stress about it, it's normal."

It seems to me he missed an opportunity here.

He basically heard the young woman say, "
I am obsessive about my body and weight” and so responded, “Don’t worry about it, you’re fine."

What I heard the young woman say was: 
“I am sometimes guilty of achila gasa (gluttonous eating) and I’m looking for tools to conquer this.” To which he responded, “Achila gasa is normal so don’t worry about it.”


He's right: achila gasa is normal. But does that mean we shouldn't try to conquer it? Does that mean we shouldn't try to eat more mindfully, and not stuff ourselves?

Question for your table: What would you have said to her?

Shabbat Shalom


PS - Go ahead, click the pic...

PPS: You can try this at home — With one easy trick, Amazon will turn that shopping into a $500 donation to JSLI, helping keep our computers humming and programs running. Simply use Amazon Smile, and designate Jewish Spiritual Literacy as your charity — for the same cost to you.


Enjoyed this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers!  Like ittweet it, forward it....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do this hack to drop 2 lbs of fat in 8 hours

At least 160000 women and men are hacking their diet with a simple and SECRET "liquids hack" to drop 2 lbs every night while they sleep.

It is scientific and it works on everybody.

Just follow these easy step:

1) Go get a glass and fill it up with water half the way

2) And then do this proven hack

and you'll be 2 lbs thinner the next day!