Friday, December 20, 2019

Ha-New-Ka?

The purpose of this blog is to increase enlightenment at the Shabbat table... Please share...

(We're almost there... here's the countdown.)



Ha-New-Ka?

one-candleLast week was a real challenge for some people. How did you do?

Since we're just a few days away from Channuka, here's a challenge for your table tonight:

How can we make Channuka fresh and new this year, and not just "same-old-same-old"?

After everyone answers, here's a challenge question:

How many lights are we supposed to light each night?

I'm guessing that most people, if not everyone, will say one the first night, two the second night etc.

And then some smart alec will correct everyone and say two the first night, three the second night etc., to include the Shamash.

In fact, according to every source that I've seen, the "basic mitzvah" of Channuka is one light the first night, one the second night and so on.

Yes, that is correct. One light each night. That's it.

Question for your table: If so, what's the point of adding these other lights?

I'm not going to answer, but I'll give you a hint: it may have something to do with out-Greeking the Greeks.


Shabbat Shalom

and

Happy Channuka!


PS - Yes, that image is clickable!

PPS - Did you know that when you shop on Amazon, you can ask them to donate a % of your purchase? Simply use Amazon Smile, and designate Jewish Spiritual Literacy as your charity — 
for the same cost to you. To become a JSL partner or to learn about other JSL projects, click here.

Enjoyed this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers!  Like ittweet it, forward it....
  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing a great information and useful. it really necessary and timely for me at this time. I've read a lot of blogs and visit but they made me feel boring. Your article made me feel strange and fascinating it attracted me. Abcya || Y8 ||Friv