Friday, January 25, 2019

Feedback Loupe

The purpose of this blog is to foster philosophical debate at the Friday night dinner table. Please print and share. 
In memory of M. Leo Storch on his 47th yahrzeit.


feedback2A true story followed by a question for your table.

A couple days ago, I met with a certain world-famous
rabbi to request his wisdom on (and possible endorsement of) our new Jewish Health and Fitness program.

He first apologized that he hadn't had time to read the book, but had only skimmed through it.

But then he went on to mention a few things that he either didn't like or thought were wrong.

Finally, after discussing these substantial items, he said, "And there's a typo on page 280."

"Only one typo? That's pretty good."

And he laughed.

And then he apologized again, several times, in case he had hurt my feelings by pointing out these errors.

He was so warm and so generous with his precious time. I'm the one who should have been apologizing.

Now, I never explicitly committed to making changes to the book according to this rabbi's feedback.

But I think it makes an excellent question for the table: Should I anyway?


And if you say yes, is it because I have a moral obligation to, or an ethical one, or for some other reason?

And if you say no, are there any circumstances when you would say that I have a moral or ethical obligation?


Shabbat Shalom

"The average person's goal in life is to make the world conform to his mind, to impose their own judgments on the world, and even fight for those judgments.
The enlightened person's goal is to make his mind conform to the world - to observe nature, people, and Wisdom itself with such clarity that he grows appreciative, sympathetic and wise."


Enjoyed this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers!  Like it, tweet it, forward it....

2 comments:

sadam husein said...

good information thank.

MEJA MAKAN MEWAH

Anonymous said...

You know what? I really like your posts. I wander on the internet to find something new or unique. And I see your articles. I decided to linger at your site and read more and more. I hope that you can upload new posts. I will be the first one to read them. Thanks a million Abcya games || Y8 ||Friv