Dedicated to Batya bat Kayla who is having surgery and needs a speedy recovery.
It's almost Rosh Hashana.... So what?
I am completely revising my 1 page guide, "22 Questions to Think About On Rosh Hashana". The 2009 edition is more meditative, linked to hearing the shofar. It should be ready by Monday or Tuesday. If you would like a copy, send an email.
In the meantime, I recommend the values analysis for you and your table.
Here's how it works:
On a scale of one to five (five being the highest), how important are the following to you? You cannot have more than three 5s or three 4s, and you must have at least two 3s, two 2s and two 1s.
2. Being well educated
3. Making a contribution to my community
6. Being well-liked
7. Having a good reputation
8. Financial success
9. Being Jewish
10. Peer recognition in my career or profession.
11. Personal fulfillment\
12. Helping other people
13. Having a good Jewish education
14. Making a contribution to humanity
15. Achieving peace of mind
16. Having children
17. Living in the home of my dreams
18. Acquiring self-knowledge
19. Giving my children a strong Jewish identity
20. Living a long, healthy life.
From Rosh Hashana/Yom Kippur Survival Kit by Shimon Apisdorf.
Used with permission.
Here's a light-hearted shofar clip to get you in the mood: