Friday, October 31, 2008

Rain, Rain Go-Away

"So, do your kids celebrate Halloween?"

That's what someone asked me this morning.

I said, "Sure, but we do it in February and we call it Purim."

He laughed. "I guess once a year is enough, right?"

"It's not only that. Think about what you're teaching your kids. On Halloween, people teach their kids to ring doorbells asking for gifts of food. On Purim, people teach their kids to ring doorbells to give gifts of food."

That's the thing about spiritual values. When you really start to plumb them, you often find that they are the diametric opposite of modern mores.

Question for your table - did you ever find yourself wanting to go against the grain and march to a different drummer than your neighbors all around you? Did you ever succeed? (and did they think you were crazy?)

By the way, last week - in my zeal to tell the story, I left off the punch line. After all that effort to rain-proof our sukkah - for the first time in 6 years, it didn't rain!

My neighbors gave me credit for the beautiful weather.

Anything like that ever happen to you? Where you go to a lot of trouble to prepare for some "rain", and the weather turned out fair? (post your answer below)


Watch (Purple Rain)Superbowl Halftime Performance - Prince in Music Videos  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

Shabbat Shalom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really make it seem really easy together with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually one thing that I think I might by no means understand. It seems too complicated and very vast for me. I’m looking ahead to your next put up, I will attempt to get the dangle of it! Jogosfriv4 2020 , jogo friv 2020 , friv 2020