Friday, November 22, 2019

Genuflection Reflection

The purpose of this blog is to add some spring to your step at the Shabbat table... Please print and share.
Happy birthday shoutout to my dear wife - wishing you another amazing year!


YoungernextyearThis morning I was sitting in a local shul library working on my daily page of Talmud when an acquaintance walked in, using a cane.

Our "hello" led to his cane, which led to his new shoes which lead to Amazon Corp....

....which lead to the observation that they seem to have become the efficient middleman between Chinese suppliers and consumers, expanding to every market.

My friend said, "I got a tour of their downtown facility - it's incredible. Little robots running around, you have to see it to believe it."

And then he showed me his new $30 Amazon shoes. They are supposedly cushioned in a way to relieve his long-term knee pain.

But he's a skeptic. So he also went to a local shoe store and bought a $130 pair of customized shoes, and is now alternating between them to see if he can tell the difference.

Now, exactly how shoes, which are downhill in terms of gravity, can significantly relieve knee pain is not so clear. It seems to me that a better fix might be to lighten the uphill load on those knees.

So I said to my friend, "Please forgive me for asking, but would it possibly help your knees to lose thirty pounds?"

As if on cue, as he was replying, "Yes, it surely would," 
a third person arrived, bearing packages of cookies and cupcakes to share with everyone.

So I took the cue and said with a smile, "Well that stuff's not going to help you!"

First question for your table: What would you guess he replied?

 + + + +

Answer:

He said, "You're right, but I'm going to eat it anyway."

Which leads to today's 2nd question for your table — Why?

For the record: If a person makes consistently healthy 
food and exercise choices, they are likely to live longer, stronger and healthier. There is compelling evidence for this (and here and here [original study is here]), and the biology of aging is no longer a complete mystery.

Therefore I repeat the question: Why?


Shabbat Shalom



To learn about other JSL projects, click here.

Enjoyed this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers!  Like ittweet it, forward it....
  

No comments: