Friday, July 05, 2019

Locker Room Talk

The purpose of this blog is to help you not be boring at the Shabbat table. Please print and share. 
In memory of my never-boring grandmother - Yehudis bas Alexander - whose yahrzeit was this week.



locker-room-towelsThere are these two guys in the JCC locker room. Our paths cross once every few weeks.

They are both the sort of people (maybe you know some of them) who are obsessed with President Trump.

One is obsessed because he dislikes Mr. Trump.

The other is obsessed because he appreciates Mr. Trump.

As I said, our paths cross every so often.

Yesterday, for the first time, they were both in the locker room at the same time.

Don't worry, it remained cordial. It was no different than two guys taking jabs at each other over which football team is superior.

The problem (for me) is that these conversations are so boring. How can you carry on a conversation about these things for so long?

But I kept my mouth shut. Until the Trump non-fan tried to rope me in.

"So, are you going down to DC for Mr. Trump's Fourth of July 'celebration'?"

He's done this before - assumed that I'm a Trump fanboy. Maybe he's been traumatized by the Jewish support for Trump.

I said, "I wasn't invited."

But he continued to try to draw me in, so I said, "Don't you ever get tired of talking about politics?"

"It's important. Don't you think it's important? It affects you, doesn't it?"

"If you're trying to understand an issue, I hear that. But just talking the way your talking, it's like you're talking about sports or the weather. It's not making you wiser, it's just entertainment."

"OK, so it's entertainment. I guess that's why I like it."

And that was that, until we both finished our workouts at the same time and we were back in the locker room. I'd forgotten about the conversation, but he hadn't.

"So what do you enjoy talking about?"

"Do you really want to know?"

"Business?"

"No."

"Your family?"

"No."

"Your job?"

"No."

"The movies?"

"No - do you want me to tell you?"

"Let me guess. Torah?"

"Not in the locker room."

This went on for at least another minute until he had exhausted all possibilities in his mind.
"OK, I give up." He was sitting down now, looking a bit defeated.

"Well if you really want to know, what I enjoy talking about is...."

2 questions for your table:

1. What would you guess I said?
2. What would you have said?


Shabbat Shalom



Enjoyed this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers!  Like it, forward it....

No comments: