Friday, December 14, 2018

Flying Friendly Class

The purpose of this blog is to turn the Shabbat table into a rest stop. Please print and share.

Oakland-sunsetHaving spent much of the past five days traveling by air, car and sailboat....

....it's on my mind.

So here are three travel-themed stories for your table this week.

Maybe you saw this one:


A baby with an oxygen machine enjoyed the perks of a first-class flight to Philadelphia, thanks to the kindness of a traveler who gave up his seat.

Details, details, details, then the conclusion:

As a result of her post, she subsequently connected with the passenger. “He was thanking me for (giving him) a birthday to remember. It was the best day."

For your table: Is this newsworthy?

Second vignette:

Is there anyone besides myself out there who doesn't use Facebook to keep up with family and friends?

What I'm really getting at is the experience of bumping into someone whom you have not been in touch with or even heard about.

Like for a year, or five or ten.

That happened to me this week and it gives you this wonderful feeling, a joy that is hard to compare with other joys.

The question for your table: Why is it so wonderful to see a familiar face that you haven't seen in years?

Presumably that's why the rabbis of old created a special beracha for such an occasion.

Third vignette:

Someone I know flew across the country this week for the sole purpose of catching up with two or three old friends.

There was no event, no party, no holiday.

When asked why he went, he said, "I've realized over the years that most of the important things that happen to me are because of my relationships to others. So I try to maintain them."

Question for your table: But why did he have to fly accross the country to do so?



Shabbat Shalom



PS - The pic above was from my travels this week... click on it for something interesting about trees and travel.

 
Enjoyed this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers!  , , forward it....



No comments: