Friday, September 25, 2015

From the Music Philes

The goal of this blog is to stimulate some harmony at your Friday night dinner table.... please print and share.

Haim AvitsurIn case you didn't hear it from me last week, Shana tova - happy new year.

Here's an opening question for your table, which some readers heard me ask in my high holidays classes over the past couple weeks:



What is a shofar?

Think about it.

I'm not asking you what it's made of. I'm asking you what it is.

My answer:

It's a musical instrument.

Think about it.

Isn't it interesting that despite all the rituals that we have for the holidays, the only thing the Torah mentions doing on Rosh Hashana is blowing shofar?

I.e., playing music?

So that leads me to my second question for your table:

What makes great music great?

If you agree with me that great music includes harmony, then you can tackle this week's third question for your table:

What's the secret to great harmony?

(I'll give you a hint: it's a one-word answer....)

Shabbat Shalom and Happy Sukkot

PS:



It is customary to increase giving tzedakah at this time of year. JSL's educational mission is supported by tax-deductible donations from individuals like you. Please become a JSL partner, or renew your partnership, today. (Please also consider supporting (or increasing your support for) your local Jewish schools.)

Like this blog? How about voting with your finger: Like it, tweet it, or just forward it.

No comments: