Friday, January 01, 2021

A Smashing Success?

The purpose of this blog is to break open great conversation at the Shabbat table. Please print and share...

 


Smashing

Go ahead, call me johnny-come-lately, but this is a new one for me.

When escape rooms first appeared, the idea appealed to me personally — a challenging puzzle to solve, an opportunity to build group solidarity, etc. Surely worth the $5-10 per person fee.

This week our son's NCSY group went to a very different sort of activity room that has popped up here and everywhere and that is evidently thriving, possibly even more than the escape rooms.

I refer, of course, to the smash room, AKA rage room, AKA wreck room, AKA destructotherapy, which has evidently been trending globally for about 3 years.

I think I get the pleasure; I was a kid once. I remember using fire crackers to blow up Star Wars action figures. There's some kind of joy in destroying something of purported value.

But I hadn't known that people will pay so much money to smash things. 

Not only will some people pay for the pleasure of smashing, enough people are paying to keep several of these businesses open locally. 

This phenomenon suggests several questions for your table:

1. Do you suppose the Pandemic has improved or hurt the wreckroom business?
2. If you could choose one thing to smash/wreck/destroy with a sledge hammer (or baseball bat), what would it be?
3. How much would you pay for that experience?
4. Is there the same pleasure in destroying something natural, or is it only fun when it's manmade?


Shabbat Shalom

PS - For those who enjoyed last week's video shorts, here are two more of my favorites: short and long.
 

Enjoyed this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers! Like ittweet it, forward it....
  

A

No comments: