Friday, February 17, 2012

Dear Abby


Here is a genuine question from the Dear Abby advice column last week:

Dear Abby: I’m planning my son’s bar mitzvah, and my ex-husband hasn’t lifted a finger to help me. I received two small checks for his portion of the guests who will attend the reception.
My question is, should I put his name on the invitation? Or do I just put my name on it since I’m the one hosting and putting the party together? I want to do the right thing, but I also want it made clear that I did the planning myself.
         
            — Mitzvah Mama in New York

First question for your table - before reading Abby's answer - how would you reply to Mitzvah Mama?

Here's Abby's reply:
A. Dear Mitzvah Mama: Be benevolent. For the sake of your child, include your ex-husband’s name on the invitation. It isn’t necessary to omit it so that you can get the credit. All you need to do is confide in one “yenta” that your son’s father is a “schnorrer” and word will get around. Trust me.



Question #2 for your table: What do you think of Abby's answer?

Want to tell Abby what you think? Here's the link.

(If you want to hear what I think, use the comments section below and let me know.  I'll give you my 2-bits, as my grandfather would have said.)

No comments: