Friday, January 21, 2022

Your Honor May I Interrupt?


The purpose of this blog is to create a happy interruption at the Shabbat table....please print and share...


gavel
Here's a starter question for your table: When you're working, do you ever enjoy being interrupted?

Ordinarily I compose this email Thursday night and get it all cued up for sending Friday morning.

Last night, however, my workflow was pleasantly interrupted.

I do not exaggerate.

I want to stress pleasantly, because it's true - I enjoyed the interruption very much.

How is that possible?

After the interruption was concluded, I sat back and asked myself why - why did I not only not mind the interruption, I actually enjoyed it?

I think the simple and perhaps obvious answer is because the person and activity involved were even more important and meaningful to me than writing this email. 

And of course you are now anxious to know who and what could possibly be more important and meaningful than you, Dear Reader?

I get that. You are indeed very dear and precious to me, which is why I work so hard to write you something meaningful to share at your Shabbat table.

But one of the few people in the world more precious to me than even you, Dear Reader, is my dear mother, who needed my help with a pressing matter last night.

Some people have trouble enjoying being interrupted to help someone, even a parent!

Question for your table - is it hypothetically possible to enjoy every interruption, or are there some interruptions that simply can never be tolerable?



Shabbat Shalom


PS -  This week's 6-minute podcast is called "The Eighty Percent Rule" and there are 10 ways to hear it:

iTunes/iPhone … YidPod … Spotify … Google Podcasts … Pocketcasts … Stitcher … Podbean … Amazon Podcasts … RSS … or just on the web.

Appreciated this Table Talk? Like it, tweet it, forward it....


  
      

No comments: