Friday, July 30, 2021

Adoni!

The purpose of this blog is to give and get a little respect at the Shabbat table. Please print and share.


Kipa-Kufi
In Jerusalem's Old City, there used to be a woman who panhandled by giving out red strings in exchange for a "donation".

Nobody really wanted the strings, but if you passed her by without giving her money she'd respond, "Ay, yie, yie...."

If you completely ignored her, she'd call out, "Adoni!"

I remember the first time she called me that.

I thought she was calling me God.

That got my attention!


I didn't know how to react.

It turns out that she was just saying, "Sir!" but I didn't know any better.

(Adoni could also be translated as "my lord".)

This week, Adoni was in the Israeli news.

On Monday, Jewish Member of Knesset Itamar Ben-Gevir went up to the rostrum to make a speech while Arab MK Ahmad Tibi was serving as acting-Speaker.


BG: Minister. members of Knesset…
TIBI: I’m sorry, but it’s accepted to say “Adoni Chairman”.
BG: You are not my master. You are not master. Show me where this protocol.
TIBI: This is the law.
BG: Show me the rule. Show me the rules (that say I need to address you that way).
TIBI: You are not addressing me properly.
BG: Who are you at all? You are a terrorist. You should be in the Knesset in Syria, not here.
TIBI: I request that security remove Ben Gvir from the podium.
BG: I will not go down. I will not go down. You are a terrorist. You don’t tell me that I can’t talk.


At this point, security dragged Ben-Gvir out of the Knesset.

Simple question for your table: Who was right? Ben-Gevir or Tibi? Both? Neither?



Shabbat Shalom
 

Appreciated this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers! Like ittweet it, forward it....
  

No comments: