Thursday, September 17, 2020

Good Riddance?

 The purpose of this blog is to create love and wisdom at that Shabbat table and all year round. Please print and share...  By the way, Isn't tonight the night?


oregon fire
Does that photo look vaguely familiar? 

I used it last week. The repeat is to show our solidarity with those who are suffering out West.

One of those suffering out West, a long-term subscriber to this email, sent me the following email the other day:

I would like you to remove me from your weekly email distribution list. You might be surprised to know that I read nearly everything you send. And over the years I have found that in doing so my heart is not made more loving.  My ability to use my mind in service to wisdom has not been strengthened. And instead I find myself increasingly agitated by and sad after reading what you write. 

(I was indeed surprised - I sometimes wonder if anyone reads what I send. I figure most people stop reading after awhile. And I was also uplifted to know that he continues to be a seeker of love and wisdom.)

I'll leave it to you, dear reader, to interpret both the content and the timing of his missive. On a related note, last night I heard a rabbi speak in less-than-glowing terms about the departure of the Year 5780. He said,

"I don't need to tell you that this has been a very difficult year, for the world and for the Jewish People. Many people have suffered, many are still suffering. Many are simply depressed or afraid. I don't think many of us are sorry to see 5780 go, and we are all hopeful that 5781 will be a better year."


I wonder .... without minimizing anyone's suffering, haven't there been many Rosh Hashanas when we could say that? Right now the plagues and fires and economic woes etc. seem historic and unprecedented. But maybe that's because they're happening right now?

Maybe we could reframe: it seems to me that having a new year is a great opportunity to ask three questions:

1. What's something important you learned in 5780?
2. What's something you did in 5780 that you're proud of?
3. What do you dream of accomplishing in 5781?

(For a list of 28 such questions, plus a few more for Yom Kippur, send me an email.)
(In addition to the RH/YK questions, we have an updated 
Significant Omens sheet and a couple other Rosh Hashana/Yom Kippur specials - shoot me an email.)

This is one of only a couple times a year when we mention the costs of sending this email. What a coincidence - this happens to be the time of year when Jews give more generously than usual. Please consider showing your appreciation and support with a tax-deductible contribution of any amount - with many options available at 
http://jsli.org/donate . Your support not only keeps our computers running and lights on, it helps us make an impact on thousands of lives through our educational programs. If you'd like details on our programs and their outcomes, shoot me an email.

Like public radio, we have some cool thank you gifts - become a supporting member and we'll send you something special.

And now I'm going to leave you with an intentionally provocative question for your Shabbat/Holiday table:

What would be worse - a year of peace and prosperity when you learned absolutely nothing, or a year of suffering when you gained great wisdom? In other words, is wisdom ever worth suffering for?


Shabbat Shalom

L'Shana Tova - Happy New Year
May you and yours be inscribed and sealed in the Book of Life!
May 5781 be a year of great blessings and see an end to great suffering.

 
Enjoyed this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers! Like ittweet it, forward it....{VR_SOCIAL_SHARING}
A

No comments: