Friday, October 14, 2022

Psst, Hey Buddy, Wanna Wave?

The purpose of this blog is to ride the Sukkot wave... Please share...











TRENCH
As a follow-up to last week's topic on Jewish identity, the following question was posed on a Jewish discussion forum yesterday:

My commute home from work involves me walking down 7th Ave through Times Square, and nearly every street corner had young Jewish men holding what I assume is a Lulav and Etrog based on what I've Googled so far (I only found out Sukkot was a holiday today as I'm trying to research this). They were mainly minding their business, but most of the groups stopped me and asked if I was Jewish (I'm not).

So I guess my question is why? What was their intention to stop me? What would happen if I was Jewish and said yes?


First of all, I love this question. I love that this person took the time to do some research, trying to get to the bottom of this lulav business.... "What do they want from me??!!"

Or perhaps: "Am I missing out on something?"

Equally interesting were the responses to the question. Some were purely factual:


It's a mitzvah (positive commandment) to shake the lulav and etrog on Sukkot, so people offer/encourage those who don't have their own to fulfill the mitzvah. Essentially you make the blessing, shake it in all 6 directions, and go on your way.

But others editorialized:

They are asking if you're Jewish in case you'd like to fulfill a mitzvah and shake the lulav and etrog with them. Since you're not, there's no mitzvah to be had unfortunately. But it's nice to be invited to the party even if you don't want to go, right?

This is jewcy and leads to so many questions for your table, such as:

How would you respond if a lulav-armed chassid stopped you and asked if you're Jewish?
Would you accept the offer and wave the four species?
Why only invite Jews? Are Gentiles not allowed to wave?



Happy Sukkot and

Shabbat Shalom


PS - Click the pic - I embedded a link to a most enjoyable family film on the theme of Sukkos.


We are in the middle of our fall fundraising campaign. Help us reach our goal of $18,000 to support our ongoing programs like Love Your Neighbor and in particular our newest programs - Jewish Teachers Institute and Torah Health and Fitness. You can become a partner (or renew your partnership) and show your appreciation for this weekly message in any of the following ways:

- For Paypal or Credit or Debit Card donation (one time, or make it monthly) click here.
- Venmo, Zelle, etc. click here for info.
- Through your local Federation - JSLI is registered in San Franciso, San Diego and Baltimore.
- Through Schwab Charitable - they have our address.
- Use 
https://smile.amazon.com and Amazon will donate a % of the sale to the non-profit of your choice (such as Jewish Spiritual Literacy), at no extra cost to you. Why not? 

For more information about the 18K campaign
 and the planned use of fundsclick here.

Enjoyed this Table Talk? Vote with your fingers!  Like ittweet it, forward it....{VR_SOCIAL_SHARING}

No comments: